Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pre Pregnancy Prep: Grassfed Cow Liver

I am training myself to eat liver, specifically the liver from a cow that was only fed grass and kept in a pasture.  How do I know?  My husband and I bought a portion of the cow, frozen, from a farm near Kutztown, PA (Pasture's Pride Natural Meats).

Why?  Well, I have been reading The Nourishing Traditions Book of Baby & Child Care to get a handle on what to start doing.  My husband and I have been using the original Nourishing Tradition Cookbook for at least five years, although having the occasional "no-no" foods here and there when necessary, tempting, or easy.  But now that we're planning on bringing a new human into this world, we want to do things "right", and in our book, that means following a traditional and natural diet.

Just about the first words in the Nourishing Traditions Baby book are about cod liver oil, and I am still in the process of ordering it.  So in the meantime, I am starting with something on hand: cow liver.

Now, since liver has a lot of vitamin A, it is important to cook it in or eat it with a good source of vitamin D.  I didn't know this, but you need to have a balance of these two vitamins.  Fermented cod liver oil has basically the perfect ratio of A and D, according to the Nourishing Traditions literature.

Eventually I want to break out of the old standby, liver and onions, and get fancy with some pate.  This recipe looks pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment