There are, of course, many questions to which she will probably offer answers, without me asking. I tried not to include these questions, since I'm already listing a lot of stuff.
1: Expectant management vs. active management?
This is a very broad way of asking if the midwife and her practice takes a "hands off" approach and only intervenes if gravely necessary, or if they are more likely to use technology and modern practices to "help" the pregnancy along. After the things I've read about pitosin, epidurals, and c-sections, I would prefer an expectant management style while I'm expecting.
2: Does she require me to go to the birthing center affiliated with her practice?
I am open to a homebirth, so is it even a possibility? Am I a candidate for it at all?
3: Back up practioners? Referring doctors?
This particular midwife is a member of a large, university hospital network, so I would like to know if she works closely with just a few doctors and other midwives, or if I might end up in the care of anyone in the practice if she's not available or needs to transfer me.
4: Who is allowed to be at checkups and the labor? Does she recommend any doulas in the area?
I am pretty sure I want to hire a doula. I've done some research into some local doulas, but I want to know if this midwife encourages their involvement, has some favorites, or will allow more than just my spouse in the room while I'm laboring.
5: When does she intervene or induce? Also, when is she less likely to intervene or induce than, say, the common OB-GYN?
Obviously, there is no way for a midwife to say "never" or "always" but it would be nice to know what is likely or unlikely. For instance, maybe she is open to letting a sunnyside up baby turn on its own.
6: Stats?
These included the number of babies born under her supervision, C-section rate of the practice, percentage of non-intervention births in the last five years
7: What do you do with pre-term or overdue pregnancies?
Knowing my luck, I will probably be overdue by conventional standards (I was always a late bloomer). So I want to make sure she won't pressure me into anything if my body and my baby get their dates mixed up.
No comments:
Post a Comment